Sat. Oct. 9th, 2004, 10am-6pm
Room Hill Country A-B
Right before the IEEE
Symposium on Information
Visualization (InfoVis) 2004.
- Jean-Daniel Fekete, INRIA Futurs, France (Author of The InfoVis Toolkit), Jean-Daniel.Fekete@inria.fr, Home page: http://www.lri.fr/~fekete/index.en.html
- Katy Börner, Indiana University, USA (Co-Author of the InfoVis Cyberinfrastructure) email@example.com, Home page: http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~katy/
Information visualization systems and toolkits are becoming available for a large range of visualization and interaction techniques and are used in diverse application domains. This workshop is aimed at gathering experts involved in building such infrastructures to share their views, understand the issues involved and trying to find ways to avoid fragmentation and improve collaborations.
To participate in the workshop, you should submit a semi-structured position paper explaining your view of what an infrastructure should provide, describe what you consider as the main challenges for such infrastructures and describe the capabilities of toolkits of systems you have already built, following a form available here by Sept 30th, 2004.
At the end of the workshop, the position papers as well as the minutes will be turned into a white paper describing the requirements and issues raised during the workshop, as well as the state of the art of existing information visualization software infrastructures.
Scott White: JUNG Paper
Jeffrey Heer: prefuse Paper *SLIDES*
Christopher Mueller: Boost Graph Library (BGL) Paper *SLIDES*
Aaron Clamage: Piccolo Paper *SLIDES*
Shashikant Penumarthy, Bruce Herr and Katy Börner: InfoVis Cyberinfrastructure Paper *SLIDES*
Georges G. Grinstein & Alexander G. Gee: Universal Visualization Platform Paper
Chris North: Snap-Together Visualization Paper
Chris Weaver: Improvise Paper *SLIDES*
Thomas Baudel: ILOG Discovery Paper *SLIDES*
Jean-Daniel Fekete: InfoVis Toolkit Paper *SLIDES*
Stephen North: GraphVis Paper *SLIDES*
James Slack: Olduvai / Accordion Drawer Paper *SLIDES*
Tim Dwyer, Colin Murray, Seokhee Hong: WilmaScope Paper *SLIDES*
Harry Hochheiser: Open Microscopy Environment Paper *SLIDES*
Steven Smith & Paul Weber: Frameworks in Support of InfoVis/Perceptualization Paper *SLIDES*
Donald R. Jones: National Visualization and Analysis Center Systems Architecture Paper *SLIDES*
Ming Hao: VisMine Paper
Sheelagh Carpendale: Elastic Presentation Space Libraries Paper *SLIDES*
Andy Wilson: VxInsight II Paper *SLIDES*
David Auber: Tulip *SLIDES*
Vladimir Batagelj, Pajek Paper
Mark Gahegan, GeoVISTA Studio Paper
- 10am-noon Participants' Presentations of Major InfoVis Toolkits, Systems, Software Frameworks etc.
- noon-1:30p Shared Lunch
- 1:30-2:30p Discussion of File Formats, Algorithms, and Communication Mechanisms (what do we need, what do we have, what's left to do)
- 2:30-3:30p Discussion of Core System Functionality
- 3:30-4:00p Coffee Break
- 4:00-5:00p Towards a Unified Architectures for a InfoVis Platform. Licensing Issues.
- 5:00-6:00p Discussion of Next Steps, Preparation of White Paper, Funding Options, etc.
- Shared Dinner - we hope many will now be really interested to talk to each other!
Advisory Board (as of 08/18/04 still growing)
- Jeffrey Heer, University of California Berkeley (Author of Prefuse) firstname.lastname@example.org, Home page: http://jheer.org/
- Georges Grinstein, University of Massachusetts Lowell (Co-author of the Universal Visualization Platform) email@example.com Home page: http://www.cs.uml.edu/~grinstei
- Alex Gee, University of Massachusetts Lowell (Co-author of the Universal Visualization Platform) firstname.lastname@example.org Home page: http://www.cs.uml.edu/~agee
- Donald R. Jones, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, (Member of the National Visual Analytics Center Infrastructure) email@example.com
- Alan M. MacEachren, Penn State University (Co-author of GeoVISTA Studio) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stephen North, AT&T (Co-author of GraphViz) email@example.com
- Thomas Baudel, ILOG (Author of ILOG Discovery) firstname.lastname@example.org Home page: http://www-ihm.lri.fr/~thomas
- Aaron Clamage, University of Maryland (Co-Author of Piccolo) email@example.com
- Ming Hao, Hewlett Packard Research Laboratories (Co-Author of A Java-Based Visual Mining Infrastructure and Applications) Ming.Hao@hp.com
- Brian Wylie, Sandia National Laboratories (Co-Author of VxInsight) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scott White, University of California Irvine (Author of JUNG), email@example.com
- Natalia and Gennady Andrienko, Fraunhofer Institute
AIS, (Co-authors of Descartes
CommonGIS systems) firstname.lastname@example.org Home page: http://www.ais.fraunhofer.de/and/